Malnad Ultra 2022 Run diary
Location: Malnad, Western Ghats, Southern India
Elevation: Approx 800 mt - 1500 mt:Elevation gain: +1010 mt, Elevation loss: -1010 mt
Distance: 30KM Strava link
Date: 26th Nov 2022
Malnad Ultra 2022 is a trail run certified by ITRA and an UTMB Index Race. This was my first full trail run experience, I must say it was beyond words.
To prepare for it I just followed my daily workout i.e. a mix of cycling and running and strength workouts. Before this run, I’ve done a 25K run at Kodagu.
Stay: So we stayed at Jhari Eco Resort for 2 days with with our ultra running team. It’s a unique place, on the route from Kaimara to Attingundi, few things to mention about the place and overall stay.
- You can't take your car to this location they will send a 4x4 on the main road towards Atingudi so pack your stuff accordingly
- Ride to resort in 4x4 can be challenging for very old people or people having heavy back pain etc this is because of lots of jerks but they have excellent drivers and it's real fun!
- There is no network (only limited BSNL) so make sure you inform your family/friends from the main road/car parking.
- Because of location and limited transport facilities please make sure that you carry basic essentials like medicines, snacks, etc as there is no market and unplanned stepping out is not possible.
- Room service is limited so it is better to follow food timings which they serve in the common area. Good clean rooms/toilets lot of natural material have been used. They have integrated the resort nicely with nature.
- Food is excellent both veg and non-vegetarian, good caring staff.
- Excellent waterfall view and natural sound. They organize the trek also but we skipped it as we already had enough from our ultra run.
- More cleaning of common areas, dining, etc.
- Electric Kettle in rooms for tea/coffee/warm water
PS: Don’t forget to carry your fav book as there will be plenty of time as there is no network
Event: First it was a difficult place to reach. Well-organized event- First 2-3 KM were downhill but after that till 5-6KM shart climb. First hydration was around that point, views were superb, and it mix of running and running. The last 8-9 KM were downhill but the sun was also there. There were enough hydration points, first aid kiosks, etc. Kudos to Coach Anand and his team for all the arrangements in such a remote area. I and Suresh have done 30K and Mey has done 50K in Luna Sandals.
Overall a good run, we all were able to finish well within the given time. Took loads of pictures :-)
Final thoughts: Malnad Ultra is absolutely wonderful experience. The beauty of the place, route, and overall crowd make it a very special run.
- Try to book your stay closer to the start point, though there will not be many...
- Start early on the race day from your stay as the road from Attingundi to the start point parking is a single lane, broken tarmac, trail forest road and there might be traffic and restrictions due to sensitive zone
- Make sure that you run with someone or find someone to run with at your pace.
- Carry some extra clothes, chapels, snacks, charger etc in your car. Mobile network is also a problem so better to keep a spare basic phone with a different network SIM preferably BSNL.
- Travel in a group, will be much more enjoyable and safe!
This was a brief of our Malnad trip ultra run. I hope to revisit it in 2023.
Feel free to write in at email@example.com or comment here in case you wish to share your own experiences or need more info or advice.
Happy to help!
Finally, here are some pics from our trip ( I, Suresh, and Mey):
Day 1: Bengaluru - Mysore
Our road trip route
Our staple Kumaoni snack for road trip
Fun at the marriage party with the Suresh and Mey’s friend’s daughter (KGF gang)
Day 2: Mysore - Jhari Eco Resort, Malnad region, Chikmagluru
Our road trip route
Stop at Gommateshwara Temple
Gommateshwara Temple Climb
Met Ooty Ultra Coach Kay at Bib collection at Kaimara
Evening at Jhari resort
Relax mode at Jhari resort
Mey enjoying at Jhari cottage
Day 3: Jhari Eco Resort - Sipani Coffee Estate (Start-Point)
Drive towards start-point
Walk towards the start point from the parking area
At the start full flock
Sun and climb
Mey after finishing 50K
Met a senior runner from Chennai
At the finish line
with RunAddicts gang
With Race Director Coack Anand and Ooty Ultra Race Director Coach Kay, Good to see that organizers of other events supporting each other
Met Peter, an accomplished trekker, and founder of Chennai Trekking Club post-run. Can’t resist meeting BELGIUM ppl because of my long association with the country :-)
Relax evening at Jhari post-run