WFH setup and tips...
In this COVID-19 scenario, everyone is trying to Work From Home depends on the job profile.
Some basic guidelines for work from home:
- Good quality desk preferably with good width (Try to keep monitor on a bit higher platform with eye-level)
- Min 2 monitors + Keyboard Mouse Combo
- Good Wireless Headphone
- Good natural light and Ventilation, if possible a separate room or corner
Your WFH setup might different depends on your work profile. Being as a programmer here is my setup:
- Medion Akoya Laptop 16GB RAM + SSD disk (I use to run my Linux + VMWare VM + Mail client)
- Medion desktop + 16GB RAM (Mainly use for programming and browsing)
- NAS server
- 12 port USB hub
- 300 Mbps download and 200 Mbps upload broadband
Tools for communication and productivity:
- Synergy for synching mouse and keyboard to use in multiple screens
- Evernote for creating and sharing notes This is my go to tool which I am using more than a decade now. I literally can’t live with without this as it contains my all work notes as well as personal notes.
- Skype We love using Skype, this is our go to channel to communicate and share with team all over the world.
Well, I am following WFH for almost 5 years for now. Here are some of my suggestions:
- Start your workday at the same time everyday.
- Follow routine including lunchtime, try to utilize luch break to do some quick houshold things if possible help in preparing some healthy food.
Try to make todo for the next day by the end of the current day I generally have datewise todo list which I prepare in advance so next morning when I start work I already know which tasks to be picked first, I generally pick the most difficult tasks first which requires deep work, most of the time I assign a time slot mostly of 40 mins to that task in that duration I put my phone on silent mode, no browser tab opened or only open tabs which are really necessary for that task. Idea is to focus fully on the task in hand.
Utilize conf call time A lot of time spent during long conference calls so it’s better to use that time to stretch a bit and do some deep breathing exercises. Wireless headphone are of great help. Make sure you charged them well each morning.
- Do regular workout in morning. You day will go smooth also learn some eye and shoudler exercises.
You can thank me later :-)
Below is my typical setup:
New Delhi, India