My Cent OS 5.6 RHEL based virtual machine has suddenly became very slow ..almost died 🙁 after few min I saw a message on console related to “Out of memory
“, after doing a bit analysis and search I found that this is a known issue and also reported in redhat bug tracker
(obviously got resolved in upstream versions).
Reason: Problem is that setting BASH_ENV=~/.bashrc runs /etc/profile, which sources /etc/profile.d/lang.sh. If TERM=linux, lang.sh runs /bin/unicode_start sending the whole process into an infinite loop.
I found two solutions (as of now)
1. Open vi /etc/sysconfig/i18n this file contains a reference to unicode (UTF-8). We have take out all the references to UTF-8)
2. Another solution is to change the shell from “bash” to “sh” in unicode_start script
We need to open the vi /bin/unicode_start and from first line change “#!/bin/bash” to “#!/bin/sh“.